Kitchens have a lot to do with resale value because people spend a lot of time in their kitchens. Properly staged, the kitchen will help them see themselves in the home and that will help increase the likelihood of a sale, the whole point of home staging in the first place.
Here are some ways to stage your home’s kitchen in order to get the maximum positive reaction from buyers.
- Kitchens are notorious for being full of clutter. When you stage this area of your home be ruthless about removing unnecessary items. Countertop appliances, utensils, the coffee pot, should all be put away, out of sight, as shown here.
- Pay particular attention to cleaning the sink, counters, stove, etc. Everything needs to be extra special clean and sparkling.
- Lights should be on and the curtains open to showcase the sparkle. If you have dark areas in the kitchen, consider adding some lighting there.
- If you’re in a buyer’s market, it might be worth thinking about upgrading your cabinets, even the counters. With a budget in mind, an inexpensive way to make the cabinets stand out is to invest in some new hardware, or install hardware if it isn’t already there. You’ll be amazed at what a few knobs or handles can do.
- If it doesn’t make sense to pour extra money into cabinetry, try staining or painting the cabinets. You’ll get a big improvement at a fraction of the cost.
- Changing out your kitchen faucets, lights and other fixtures is another relatively inexpensive way to update the entire space.
- Don’t forget the effect of a fresh coat of paint. And the comments about painting the living/family rooms apply here as well. Also, if the kitchen is connected to the living/family room, use either the same color paint — or one shade lighter or darker. This will make the eye flow from one room to the next, making the entire place seem more spacious.
- Finally, if you have an eat-in kitchen make sure buyers can envision that feature. Show it to them by setting a small table there complete with flatware, glassware, and every day dishes. A single silk flower in a small vase would be a nice touch too.
As people spend a lot of time in their kitchens, devoting some extra time and/or money in staging the kitchen is a real good idea. Realtors will confirm that kitchens sell homes more than any other room in the house.